Monday, August 31, 2009

Three days and counting...

You will go far, but be sure to come back.

On Sunday, I went out to lunch with my family. After the meal, we passed around the fortune cookies, one for each of us. Since my grandparents aren't fluent in English, I had to translate their "fortunes." My grandmother had a fairly normal one. It was the one that my grandfather had that gave me a pause, and somehow, I knew that I would get the exact same one when I read my own fortune.

I was right.

The past week has been a roller coaster as it finally begins to hit me that on Wednesday, I will be boarding a plane and leaving everything I know and am comfortable with for the next three and a half months. I will be on my own, living as an independent young adult for the first time in my life. I will be responsible for everything that needs to be done to keep a household, balancing life and work by myself, and while there will be support, I will be on my own when it truly counts.

I would be lying if I claim that I'm not terrified at the thought. I would also be lying if I claim that I'm not excited for this adventure. This internship will be an opportunity for professional and academic growth, but I suspect it will be a blossoming of personal growth and confidence for me, perhaps more so than what I can put on a resume.

As I have gone through the weeks and months that have led me to this point in my life, I have constantly been supported and encouraged by my family and friends. From sharing in my ups-and-downs to last-minute proofreading, my friends in both real life and fandom have been there for me. To them, I have to say that I would not be where I am without your presence, and I'm forever grateful that our paths have crossed in my life.

For safety and privacy purposes, I have registered this blog under my nom de plume. While I do trust everyone that I have directed to this journal, I am leaving my entries public for people who don't have livejournal or gmail accounts but who would also like to keep up with my doings in Washington D.C. It is going to cause a bit of chaos, I believe, as my real life and online life collide here, but I don't think we're going to suffer anything more than a few bruises here and there.

In 2004, Kelly Clarkson released "Breakaway," a song that three years later, I listened to over and over again as I prepared for college. I think the lyrics fit my life just as well now as it did then, perhaps even more so.

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly.
I'll do what it takes until I touch the sky....

No comments: